1. We use cookies. By continuing to use DigiKeep, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Happy Birthday, Walter.

Discussion in 'DigiKeep Community' started by Admin, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Admin

Admin Admin/Wizop

Media:
    Happy Birthday to you
    Happy Birthday to you
    Happy Birthday dear Walter
    Happy Birthday to you

Have a great Birthday and a great year.

from DigiKeep to our great member, @Walter

2. Walter

Walter Community Supporter Meets Club Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thank you, at least I have now got my Free TV Licence

3. Steve

Steve Admin Community Supporter Meets Club Member Inner Sanctum Lotto Syndicate Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Walter,

It is neat the freebies oldies get. Seems a shame they don't make the TV license ending apply a little earlier.

On that sort of thing.... Suddenly I am finding I have to sign for free prescriptions - it says on them that they are free due to age but it seems it is a new totally pointless seeming rule. They would also be free due to diabetes... and they really could do with buying a computer for the NHS as they seem totally unable to work in even a vaguely modern way.

Have a great Birthday, and enjoy your free TV... though Netflix and so on will still want money I suppose...:bear:

Steve

4. Walter

Media:
    Albums:
    I have to sign when I collect my prescription now.

Walter

5. Steve

Steve Admin Community Supporter Meets Club Member Inner Sanctum Lotto Syndicate Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Walter,

On the front of the prescription it will normally have 'Exempt' printed, to make it clear no fee is due. The systems at pharmacies seem to automatically print that on the labels they use as well. It was always one of the few things they seemed to do well.

Having them collect signatures and then checking them later and so on for millions of folks over 60 has to be the one of the dumbest things they could possibly start to do. The NHS knows the DOB for all those prescribed medicine, that some dolt there seems not to be aware of that seems crazy.

The NHS appears to waste millions of man hours across the country by their totally outdated practices and changing the few decent systems they have for the worse and wasting their time and ours is just such a waste of money, isn't it. I'm sure it is being done to save money on those claiming free prescriptions too.... which makes it even worse as they know these prescriptions are free and they appear to be totally failing to understand their own systems.

I love it when I have a month with about 10 NHS appointments.. each with several hours waiting usually involved. Nearly all those appointments amount to a simple test or sometimes just a few minutes chat. Do them all in one large test centre, and tell me the results there and then, and you could probably save 90% or more of the costs. It is such a joke that the NHS constantly claims it needs more money and staff... have they never sat and waited in an NHS clinic and seen what goes on and how much gets done in what sort of time. Over 90% of the time seems wasted, particularly for those attending, and they probably had important work to do in most cases.

Steve

6. Walter

Media:
    Albums:
    Steve,
    Mine says Age Excerpt.

I had a blood test in December and another in January, why they could not take 2 samples in December I do not know.

The one in December was for Diabetes and the one this January is for Cholesterol.
    I am thinking that the doctor gets paid for each appointment, and there is yet another appointment in February for a prescription review making 3 separate appointments when all three could have been done in one appointment.

As you say the NHS is in the dark age wasting money.

I have a hospital appointment January 30th at 11:30 I wonder how long I will be in the waiting room for that!

No wonder the NHS has run out of money.

I will get off my soap box.

Walter

7. Steve

Media:
    Albums:
    Walter,

I guess it goes without saying that most of the people working in the NHS are very good and very dedicated. Their management systems seem to be their biggest weakness. Very little the NHS does seems to make sense - much of the money they get seems to be wasted because of that.

I've sold the NHS hundreds of millions of pounds worth of goods, and I've visited every NHS hospital in the UK, and every health authority, and have negotiated with the English Welsh and Scottish NHS at their top levels. On top of that I have a number of serious health problems that mean going to NHS hospitals and clinics a great deal. I also used to pay large amounts to attend all the NHS conferences to listen to politicians talk about what they hoped to do with the NHS and so on. We have also done things like create Web sites for the NHS, and so on. The thing I would REALLY like to do is to help them change how things are managed within the NHS.... because if you look and see the results the folks responsible for that work are achieving, well things are a mess aren't they...and they need fresh thinking.

Steve

8. Bob

Bob Community Supporter Meets Club Member Lotto Syndicate Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I recently changed my doctor. I simply didn't trust the original practice since much of what they did seemed to be aimed at increasing their revenue stream.

I'd seen the same doctor twice at the new practice and he requested a number of routine blood tests and an ECG basically to ensure there weren't any outstanding issues. Because of the Christmas period it wasn't until last week that I went to the hospital for the blood tests and I had an appointment with the doctor's surgery for the ECG. After the ECG they explained that they thought there was a problem with the ECG machine - they had been getting strange readings (not just for me) so they said that they would re-arrange the appointment once the machine was fixed. As Blanka works in the health sector, I got her to do an ECG and took it into the doctor's surgery the next day and had the receptionist address it to the doctor that I ad seen twice before and I asked for an appointment for this week with the same doctor to discuss the results.

So, I went in this week for the appointment and was very surprised to discover that it was with a different doctor (which, of course, would mean significant time wasted explaining stuff all over again). But I was even more surprised when I actually got in to see the doctor. She could not find the ECG. And, possibly worse, the original doctor had not seen it either. It's gone missing. Which, of course, means that the appointment was a waste of time for me - and, worse, for the doctor.

Now, the remuneration policies for these practices are a closely protected secret, so I don't know if there is some relationship between their payment and the number of appointments. Because, if there is, it would appear that they are rewarded for wasting their time and mine... And, of course, that would reflect another waste of NHS funds...

And, of course, another issue is that this practice would appear to have failed to take proper care of what amounts to patients' property...

(Oh, I did find out about the blood tests - all fine :) )

Bob

9. Steve

Media:
    Albums:
    Bob,

Interesting stuff.

My local Drs don't generally do any serious tests at the surgery, so every blood test or ECG or whatever is always at a hospital. One hospital does my regular blood tests and another the ECG tests. I go somewhere else for cancer checks, and somewhere else for routine eye checks, and somewhere else to see an eye consultant, somewhere else for foot checks, and somewhere else for operations, and somewhere else for diabetes checks, and so on. Because of the vast amount of money and time that all wastes, the way the NHS is managed seems a farce to me.

I do get my Flu jab and blood pressure done locally by the GP.

Most folks in the family who go to the Drs simply ask for an appointment and they get to see whichever Dr had a spare appointment, and they seem happy with that. I do not like to do that and I always ask for my own Dr. If he is away or whatever it can mean some weeks of waiting but mostly I get to see him quickly.

My understanding of GP work is that it is paid partly based on results. So if they get everyone doing what the NHS feels is right and if they get good results etc. they get more pay. Seems fairly sensible to me really. Bonuses paid on results and outcomes is one thing I would keep and that I like.

Losing bits of paper seems just totally normal for the NHS and I think it is to be expected in some cases. They might well have a rule that says never to file non NHS test results in the NHS patient file or whatever, I can see how that might make sense in some circumstances.

The worst case I know of is one NHS eye hospital where if you go one day and are asked to come back the next day for more tests when you arrive they say they have no record of you on their computers nor their paperwork, even though you saw several consultants and had hours of tests there the day before... I thought it was a one off crazy situation when it happened to me.. but after asking others who had been there they all had the same thing! What a crazy crazy place! I have not returned since and I now use a much better eye hospital that seems to keep perfect records... though they have other faults. Going into a waiting room and joining 60 others waiting to be seen there makes me feel very let down... how can any manager feel that is the right way to do things. I think it perhaps happens when consultants plan things... they are generally truly expert Drs I have found...but their training on managing their clinics I am not so sure about. If they are all good at it then we are all seeing them at the time of our appointment aren't we....hmm.

Steve

10. Bob

Media:
    Albums:
    Well, we'll see next week when I see "my" doctor again... I suspect that the ECG hasn't actually gone missing, just been sent for scanning - without anyone asking "Is this needed for that appointment that's been arranged to look at it?" With the result that an extra appointment is now needed...

As to packed waiting rooms, they are one of the few facilities for non-registered patients to see a doctor in situations that don't warrant a trip to A&E. So they have been inundated just recently. But I've never had to wait long for my appointments. In fact, I was called early for that last one. :)

11. Walter

Media:
    Albums:
    Bob,

You are correct, last year I had a blood test which was done doctors and the nurse said phone the surgery after two weeks for the results which I did only to be told to make an appointment with a doctor who said it was all ok so it was a waste of doctors time.

Walter

12. Bob

Media:
    Albums:
    Yes. Often, I've been told that they will let me know if there is anything of concern.

But, it is not impossible for this system to fail. Nothing sinister, just that the person calling gets interupted and then never gets back to it or some similar scenario.

So the patient pesters the surgery - because their concerns have not been satisfied. If the receptionist isn't in a position the answer the patient instantly - and receptionist may not be qualified to interpret results, anyway - their easiest course is to give the patient a doctor's appointment...

I don't have an answer for this - after all, I have no ideas what systems are in place in any particular surgery - but I can't help thinking that it could all be managed better...

Bob

13. Steve

Media:
    Albums:
    I was on about the management of the NHS and how the hospital clinics system operates. The same ill folks are made to wander around many different hospitals and clinics and wait many hours in packed waiting rooms purely because of the way all of this is managed. The time and money wasted seems extreme and one of many areas where the NHS could perhaps save a fortune.

I've never had to wait at my Doctors really, they have a great check in system and keep their appointments. They have really small opening hours though... closed Weds afternoons and all weekends and when open you can see a Dr for 2 hours in the morning and 2 in the afternoon. Works out at 18 hours a week, very hard to understand how that works for all those Drs involved.

Management with great flair and outside the box thinking is what the NHS seems to need.. when was the last time any of us spotted that while waiting four hours in a chair for no reason... Those who claim it is a shortage of funds causing such things need to think about it a little more. All those patients get seen eventually.... but at extra cost because they are all there waiting and causing hassle and extra work and space needs and so on...

Steve

14. Bob

Media:
    Albums:
    Ah, yes. I see what you mean.

I had to go into Luton & Dunstable Hospital for the blood tests. It was packed!
    I arrived before 10am but one of my tests needed to be done before 11am. So the receptionist told me to come back to her at 10:50 if I hadn't been called. I did that and they slotted me in just before the 11am deadline...

My old doctors' surgery kept similar hours to yours. The new one is open 7 days a week from 8am to 8pm... Of course, I'm sure they don't have a full roster of appointments for the whole of that time, but it's still a very useful resource. :)

15. Walter

Media:
    Albums:
    My doctors surgery are open 8 am to 13:00 Monday to Friday, closed on Saturdays unless I go to the main surgery then it is 0:800 to 18:00 Monday to Friday but the parking is very bad there. The surgery dose blood test and flu vaccination at both surgeries, minor ops at the main surgery.

I can book a doctors appointment on line with my preferred doctor which is often a 14 day wait or any available only a 1 day wait but I cannot book my routine blood tests on line which I have to phone which a call centre at the main surgery or call in at my local surgery, also request repeat prescriptions on line which have be 48 hours wait and they are sent electronically to the pharmacy as system that works well for me...

Walter

16. Steve

Media:
    Albums:
    Walter,

The electronic system for prescriptions and it meaning you just collect from the pharmacy and so on is obviously a fairly decent modern system. I use it and like it in most ways.

However, 48 hours delay built in seems a tad absurd to me I have to say. Instant or 3 hours max if there was something to check would seem about right. Also the pharmacy complains they are still having to go to the surgery and collect paper prescriptions, and they say they have a feeling that legally they might be meant to make the patient do that, and they moan that they now have to get 60 year old plus folks using the electronic system to sign the old paper prescriptions from now on. Who needs the paper prescriptions ever created or passed around?? What a waste of time and money and resources.. and who planned it that way??

All prescriptions should be electronic, shouldn't they.

The app I use seems to ask for one too many confirmations while showing the sign off button on a screen stating what you ordered... you actually need to scroll down at that point to find yet another confirm button... I've missed that twice so far.. meaning nothing was there for me 2 days later... and they don't do the obvious and send an automatic email confirming your prescription is now with the pharmacy and will be ready for collection in 30 minutes or whatever.

I suspect they could cut the costs of prescriptions dramatically. Why do we have to go get them anyway... why don't they deliver, who needs loads of little shops and staff hanging around and printed forms etc.

You can now get your medicines delivered in fact, and for free... folks like Lloyds do that I believe... I am not a fan of them since they took over my local Sainsbury's Pharmacy so I have not rushed to set that up with them. I do want to lose the trips to a shop to collect prescriptions though.

Steve

17. Walter

Media:
    Albums:
    Steve,
    Some times the surgery sign off the request very fast like 2 hours but other times it can take over 48 hours for the surgery to sign it.

One advantage is you can see on line when the surgery has signed it so I don't have to make a trip and find the prescription is available

The pharmacy I us is in Sainsburys store so I can collect my prescription when I do my shopping.

Walter

18. Steve

Media:
    Albums:
    Walter,

When our Sainsbury's Pharmacy was run by them I didn't think too much of going to the store and getting my bag of medicines. As I walked towards the counter they would usually wish me a good morning by name and hand me my stuff.

Now though there can be a very long wait to get to the counter as Lloyds have taken over and seem to have very few staff, with those they do have seemingly having important conversations out of sight....and not standing waiting to serve the next customer. I do not have time for such nonsense.

Not only that but on reaching the counter I keep being told the most crazy stuff... last visit I was told I could not have my insulin as 'they sent us the wrong one'... come back tomorrow morning. That prescription was with them on the Monday and this was the Friday... that really just doesn't make sense and is plain not good enough. There are also often items not dispensed and I only find out a month later when asking for my next prescription and getting bits of the last one with it.

I want to take my business from them as a 'thank you' - but the main delivery pharmacy I can find seems to also be Lloyds so I am keeping my eye out for another one that looks suitable for me to go to. I have had a chemist up the road recommended and I'm told they deliver free so I may try them... though really I am looking for something that is totally online and works via an app.

I don't check the app for the 'accepted' notice because it seems meaningless in most ways... when I go to the Lloyds folks they ask when I put it in and say helpful thing like it takes 2 days and so on.... being 'accepted' quickly seems not seem to help. All mention of 48 hours should be removed, and they should dispense it within 30 mins of the order being placed ideally... the NHS builds in pointless nonsense waiting times for just about everything... all of them cost a lot of time and money and they all need to be removed, in my view.

Of course you used to be able to get longer term prescriptions.. so say 2 months of medications each time. Saved a lot of time and effort for all concerned....so of course they now limit them to 28 days and everyone is constantly running out of medications and causing lines at pharmacies getting the same stuff they got 4 weeks ago...

Steve

19. Walter

Media:
    Albums:
    Steve,

I fully agree with regarding the poor service from Lloyds pharmacy as there customer services is poor, when Sainsburys had the surgery they greeted me by name and had the prescription ready to hand to me.

I made an appointment for a blood test this morning and I was told to make another appointment for 2 weeks for the results of the blood test and see another nurse.!

My doctor prescribes 2 months worth at a time.

Walter.

20. Penny

Penny Community Supporter Lotto Syndicate Member

Media:
    Albums:
    A belated Happy Birthday from me Walter and many more to come.

Penny :)