1. We use cookies. By continuing to use DigiKeep, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Happy Birthday, Walter.

Discussion in 'DigiKeep Community' started by Admin, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Steve

Steve Admin Community Supporter Meets Club Member Inner Sanctum Lotto Syndicate Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Walter,

Interesting that you get 2 month prescriptions. My Dr told me a long time back that he was only meant to do 1 month at a time and I read a lot about it in the press when that happened. I I have a feeling each health authority or whatever could make their own version of the rules if they wanted to. Some info on it, and some of the costs of the change, is here:

http://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/news/co...ies-cost-more-than-they-save/20000542.article

One of the effects is that people who pay for their prescriptions get charged twice as much if they are monthly instead of 2 monthly. They also claimed it would save a lot of money if people were not going to use all the medicines they were getting in larger 2 monthly batches. People die and so on... That item I link to above says that even part of this change will cause £150m in extra costs for the NHS... The entire system for prescriptions doesn't feel sensible... I'd love to get involved and throw some new ideas at them.

Lloyds should be able to do as well as Sainsbury's did... it seems a staffing issue to me. There used to be a lot of staff about before the changes and now they seem to be struggling to do everything and they also seem to be using staff who often act as if they are new to the job. I expect I will move to totally electronic systems with home delivery soon.

Talking of home deliveries... I ordered some stuff from Amazon Monday and got 4 deliveries yesterday. Two of those contained just 1 pet product, one a box of food and one a bag of cat litter. So far I have had one delivery today and I seem to have 3 more coming today also. Talking of the NHS wasting money... putting stuff on one lorry and so on would save Amazon a fortune you'd think..

I expect your blood test was ready not too long after you had the test done. The two week wait and an appointment is such a way to burn up money needlessly isn't it.

In recent weeks I've seen two diabetic nurses. One was at a Moorefield's Eye clinic where she was intercepting patients with diabetes and seeing if she could help them do better with their sugar levels to help protect their eyes. She was using up some of the time they normally spend sitting and waiting - that seemed an interesting notion. She wanted to know my HB1C reading, the serious blood test for diabetes, and so she did a finger prick and put it in a machine I had never seen before, that gave her an instant HB1C reading. We then discussed that and some ideas to improve on what it showed.

The other diabetic nurse was at a diabetes clinic. The week before my visit I phoned them to ask why I had not been sent a form for a blood test. They got me sent one and I went to a hospital and had that done on the Friday before my appointment on the Tuesday. The nurse had the results of the HB1C test and we discussed that etc.

So, it seems these tests can be done instantly if needs be. They can also be done with results available in a few days. It is very hard to fathom why the NHS seems to waste so much time and money and effort on some many aspects of what they do.

The nurses by the way seem very dedicated and experienced and really high quality. I get the feeling that with the right management they could see 5 times as many people and do a faster more accurate and timely job. Heck, if the NHS thought outside the box and let these folks have a car and an instant test machine to take to their patients they could probably do 10 times the work and save their patients and hospitals and a fortune.

Warfarin clinics are clearly in the same sort of league... all those buildings, staff, and tests and so on. At least mine is now a finger prick and instant result clinic... but still I have to go there along with vast numbers of other folks, and the cost of all the transport laid on for a lot of the folks and so on seems a little absurd on the face of it.

Steve

2. Walter

Walter Community Supporter Meets Club Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Penny,

Thank you.

How is your eye problem?

Walter

3. Walter

Walter Community Supporter Meets Club Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Steve,
    I would think that giving two months supply must save the doctor work and time and also more economical for the NHS.

The phlebologist nurse says blood test results normally take 3 to four days for the results so why the two week wait is beyond me.

My surgery has a dedicated phlebologist, she in very good, I very seldom see the same doctor or he same practise nurse unless I am prepared for a two week wait.

Walter