1. We use cookies. By continuing to use DigiKeep, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hotmail

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Steve, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Steve

Steve Admin Community Supporter Meets Club Member Inner Sanctum Lotto Syndicate Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Hi all,

I've noticed Hotmail is the only email provider in the World that seems to ever bounce back messages from here. Because it does that a lot I have banned them on our system so new members can't use Hotmail to sign up here.

I thought I should mention this so anyone who is using a freebie Hotmail email address here knows and can, if possible, switch to a company that does not bounce our messages..... so to anyone else!

The most reliable email systems seem to be the ones provided/included with your broadband. You are paying for the service and I've never heard anyone say their provider is in some way meddling with their mail. Such complaints always seem to be about the freebie providers who seem to feel they can do whatever they want.

If you should have a Web site/domain then the provider of hosting for that will normally have email systems and I've always found those superb/powerful and you can do a lot of things with those.

You can of course use more than one email address...and that always seems a good idea to me.

All the best,

Steve

2. Bob

Bob Community Supporter Meets Club Member Lotto Syndicate Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I've never felt the need to use any of the free email services, but I have had email failures with several "Forum" type sites being unable to reach me with email. They just don't arrive. But it would appear that they don't bounce, either...

I have web hosting with 1and1 and they provide my email services as well as my domains and hosting.

Don't know if that adds anything to the conversation, but I just thought I would relate my experiences.

Bob

3. Steve

Steve Admin Community Supporter Meets Club Member Inner Sanctum Lotto Syndicate Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Bob,

Personally I feel it disgusting that email 'services' can meddle with peoples mail... from sending them adverts based on what is inside their mail to bouncing it in error or for any old pathetic reason it is just not good enough.

Like you I have never used a freebie mail provider, I just do not trust them to get important mail to me.

A lot of folks never see mail that is bounced back to them but I make a point of not sending that to SPAM and always keeping an eye out for it happening.

Steve

4. Bob

Bob Community Supporter Meets Club Member Lotto Syndicate Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Yes. I don't have any "spam" folders anywhere - including on my hosting service's servers. If I get spam I just delete it. If the sender is persistent I have it go to a folder - an ordinary folder to start with and then straight to the trash. The speed at which I change from one to the other will depend on whether I think there might be anything useful from the sender. A quick scan will quickly identify anything that I might want to check out, but usually it's just deleted en masse...

Virtually every bounce message that I get is malicious, so I check them with care, but I did set up a new email address recently and had a typo in a forwarding address. Obviously, they bounced. So I rectified the typo and all is well.

I'm not running any Forum systems, though. Which means I have less potential for bounced emails.

Bob

Roger likes this.