1. We use cookies. By continuing to use DigiKeep, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Manchester Gorton

Discussion in 'News and Politics' started by Jackie, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Jackie

Jackie Active Member

Just to let you know that it's all got real. There is a by-election in Manchester Gorton and I am the Candidate for the Lib Dems.

It's all going to be interesting.

2. Walter

Walter Community Supporter Meets Club Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Good luck

Walter

3. Steve

Steve Admin Community Supporter Meets Club Member Inner Sanctum Lotto Syndicate Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Jackie,

That is GREAT news. I did think of your instantly when I saw the news reports. I'm sad that the long standing MP died but I guess everyone does in the end and I am glad it has given you this opportunity.

With Labour in such a mess and with such an awful leader, and with the Conservative Government seeming not to be acting as most Conservative voters would want, and not lowering taxes and so on, everyone may be looking for somewhere else to put their cross.

I'd love to be up there and in the room for the count and result, it would be so great to see you win. I guess that me being there probably won't happen but if so I hope to be watching it all unfold on the TV!

All the best Jackie, and I hope to be seeing you in Parliament for a cup of tea and some cake to celebrate down the line!

Steve

4. Frenchman

Frenchman Community Supporter Meets Club Member Inner Sanctum Lotto Syndicate Member

Media:
    Wish you good luck, 24000 majority for Labour at the last Election.

John

5. Steve

Steve Admin Community Supporter Meets Club Member Inner Sanctum Lotto Syndicate Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Sir Gerald Kaufman was a bit of a legend, and Father of The House of Commons. Labour was also a credible party.

I think things have changed a lot.

I may be wrong but I don't think labour even have a candidate at present.

Jackie has stood at many past elections and should be well known to most in the area. It was a very safe seat with a very bright MP.

If they want more of that then the candidate with a PHD in Nuclear Physics, and a strong background in the area as a Councillor etc. may just win the day.

Labour managed to lose a seat against a Conservative recently, breaking records by losing to the sitting government. Copeland was a Labour seat since it was created in 1983! In 1997 Labour had a 12,000 majority there.

It is a big ask to win but it is certainly possible, and if Corbyn and his cronies select the wrong candidate they could get a near zero vote. The man seems universally thought a fool, particularly by his own MPs. Some of them are said to be talking of Labour having way under 200 seats at the next election if Corbyn remains.

The LibDem view can be seen in spots like this one:

http://www.libdemvoice.org/breaking...gorton-byelection-for-the-lib-dems-53506.html

Steve

6. John

John Community Supporter Meets Club Member Inner Sanctum

Media:
    Albums:
    Good luck Jackie. Like Steve says, Labour voters may stay away for many reasons, though I expect they'll bring out all their big guns after Copeland.

John

7. Steve

Media:
    Albums:
    ..and hopefully shoot themselves in the foot with them, as seems to be their normal sort of behaviour these days... :)

I hope they bring folks like Tony Blair, Gordon Brown, and Corbyn along, that should seal their fate... 3 less popular people are hard to imagine....

I can't think of a popular Labour politician at all.. Even their old London Mayor, Ken, is now on the outside of the Labour party and hated by them it seems.

Steve

8. Jackie

Jackie Active Member

Well and now we have a Galloway doing his cat impressions in the Constituency. Had a very interesting weekend in York as a by-election candidate. Very different to turning up as an ordinary activist. It's great fun.

9. Steve

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm glad you are enjoying it. It is surreal that Galloway has wandered along. I suppose he sees a vague chance there will be an unexpected winner here due to Labour's incredible unpopularity at present.

I have to say I'm not fond of the word activist. Labour seems to be in the mess it is because instead of normal level headed Labour supporters running the show a mass of folks from unions and/or calling themselves activist groups seem to be calling the shots. Much it seems to the dismay of the normal Labour supporters and MPs who just want to help the downtrodden by offering an electable alternative to the Conservatives, and who don't want to try and make us a part of something like the former/failed USSR.

With what has taken place in the USA I think you do have to wonder if Russia plays any part in some of these union related mess ups the Labour party goes through. It does seem like there is some strange agenda behind what has happened with Labour. It doesn't seem at all good for the UK in any sense.. only for folks like Russia may it seem wonderful.

Likewise what is going on in Scotland. Someone there who was democratically elected seems to be fighting against the democratic result of a referendum and trying yet again to split up the UK knowing full well I think that the people of the UK do not want that. Who does, I can only think of Russia again. I guess some would argue that some bits of the areas covered by the referendum voted for this or that.. but that is not how referendums work and they took part knowing that, didn't they. I guess if their argument had won the day they would not be stamping their feet now. Shameful behaviour really.

Will any of these people/politicians turn up living in a flat in Russia at some point....after completing a job well done....:bear:

Steve

10. Steve

Media:
    Albums:
    The 4th of May seems to be the big day. 11 candidates.

Steve

11. Steve

Media:
    Albums:
    Hmm.... now an election called for June. I wonder if that cancels the need for the by-election? I still feel you have your best chance yet even if it is in June.

Steve

12. John

Media:
    Albums:
    Seems to me the height of hypocrisy to call a snap election to bolster her majority when fixed lifetime parliaments were recently introduced by her party to stop Labour from doing so.

13. Steve

Media:
    Albums:
    John,

I agree it doesn't look or feel great. I have to wonder if it will be won by a LibLab pact... seems possible.

I guess there are reasons for this that most of us are not fully aware of. It may be seen as the best way to keep Scotland part of the UK.. or it may be seen as the only way to get the final Brexit deal through parliament when the time comes.. or whatever.

Those into conspiracy theories might ask whether Cameron was paid by the Russians to split up the UK and Europe and whether his replacement is working on giving Labour a chance to take over as the choice of dear old Vladimir Putin and his pals in the UK unions etc.

Vlad seemed to get his man in the US against what everyone thought of him, and how much Trump seemed disliked even by his own party etc..

As conspiracies go that one seems to have a lot going for it... what with the Trump people who have had to admit secret contact with the Russians and what with all the strange stuff being engineered to get Trumps top men off to Russia needing to make friends etc. If the events of recent weeks were not staged/planned that would be a little surprising to some folk. Blowing up a Syrian airport after ensuring the Russians were warned in advance and so on...a tad strange, and the announced reason being that this will prevent any further use of chemical weapons by a regime that has nothing to gain from using them and everything to lose all seems a more than a little strange too doesn't it.

We've been here before I think... with strange/false stories about dictators having/using weapons of mass destruction and that meaning we must do this or that... it seems to be the standard go to story to get backing for strange sounding decisions down the line doesn't it.

Trump constantly goes on about fake news... it feels a little like the Banks/Airlines/Gas companies with the worst service always seeming to run adverts about their great World beating service... does anyone really think Trump isn't the most likely one to generate fake news?

At the end of the day we just have to watch it all unfold I guess.... With World leaders like Donald Trump, Putin, Erdogan, Assad, Kim Jong-un, Donald Tusk, Nicola Sturgeon, and the rest, aren't they all a joy to watch these days...

Steve

14. John

Media:
    Albums:
    Steve,

I just heard on the news that the by-election has indeed been cancelled. I hope this does not mean Jackie has to start over to be the general election candidate.

Politics getting heated all over the world these days is too much for my liking. Brexit is too big an issue to have so many other distractions to deal with at the same time whoever is in power.

John

15. Jackie

Jackie Active Member

The by-election is cancelled with just 2 weeks to go. So it all becomes a General Election campaign. It's not a comfort to know that the Gorton candidates are in a situation that no candidate has been in since 1923...

16. Steve

Media:
    Albums:
    Jackie,

I guess you'll be the one chosen for the General Election, and as before I think this has to be your best opportunity so far to win the seat.

Sadly Labour just seem to be about the Unions and what they want... I saw a media report that some 90% of Labour party funding is now from unions, what a crazy situation if true for a political party that should represent the public, not a special interest group that the majority of the public probably hate for all the harm they do to the UK and the public here. When was the last strike the majority of the public supported and didn't feel was wrong and plain nasty I wonder... Who does like UK unions and what they seem to do in the UK? Putin perhaps...

The Conservatives usually have the best people... I do like some of them, like Boris for instance. However, they have not done too many great things of late, and they do seem set for a fall at some point. The death tax they had planned and other totally unpopular/unpleasant moves may all come back to haunt them.

It seems a good opportunity for the LibDems to bounce back... I have a Brother in Law standing for them again. Joe, who has been mentioned here before.

Steve