1. We use cookies. By continuing to use DigiKeep, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New £1 coins and shopping trollies.

Discussion in 'DigiKeep Community' started by Walter, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Walter

Walter Community Supporter Meets Club Member

Media:
    Albums:
    New £1 coins and shopping trollies.

I shopped at my local supermarket which needed a £1 coin to use the shopping trolley, I only had the new £1 coin but I found it would not accept it, I expect the same goes for vending machines! Make sure you keep a old £1 coin.

2. Bob

Bob Community Supporter Meets Club Member Lotto Syndicate Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I have a few "trolley tokens" that won't be phased out with the old pound coins :)

One is a plastic one supplied by one of the big supermarket chains. I suspect they've laid in a supply for the transition period on the pound coin...

Maybe I'll ask at my local branch's customer services counter :)

3. Steve

Steve Admin Community Supporter Meets Club Member Inner Sanctum Lotto Syndicate Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Like Bob I have trolley tokens that I use. By the time the new shape has fully taken over the trolleys should all be converted.

I do like the new £1 coin even if it does seem sad to create vast amounts of pointless work changing all the machines that handle coins.

Have a good holiday weekend.

Steve

4. John

John Community Supporter Meets Club Member Inner Sanctum

Media:
    Albums:
    Steve,

I didn't know they were changing the £1 coin. Shows how out of touch I am these days. I have a pile of old coins somewhere as they were heavy to carry so kept emptying my pockets into a drawer.

What? Another? Well, life's one long holiday these days.

John

5. Walter

Walter Community Supporter Meets Club Member

Media:
    Albums:
    John,

You need to use all of your old £1 coins by I think it is September this year but I under stand you will still be able to pay into your bank account after that.

Walter

6. Steve

Steve Admin Community Supporter Meets Club Member Inner Sanctum Lotto Syndicate Member

Media:
    Albums:
    John,

You may be able to have some fun sorting through those old £1 coins. I believe there are said to be something like 24 different types and you could perhaps make a collection up or whatever. Details on what is out there are here: http://www.royalmint.com/discover/uk-coins/coin-design-and-specifications/one-pound-coin

I have 20 of the new type £1 coins dated 2016 here in a little bag from the bank. Also have a couple of the new fivers with sequential numbers on them. I don't collect such things to any extent but I do still have thrupenny bits and so on about. I do like to look back at the changes over the years.

I have one fake £1 coin and one fake £20 note here too... given to me as the real thing over the years.

It sounds like you aren't too mobile yet, I guess it takes time, hope it is all going as well as it can.

Steve

7. Gary

Gary Community Supporter Meets Club Member Lotto Syndicate Member

Media:
    Most of the vending machines at work only accept our credit card sized pass and don't accept cash, but there is one coffee machine that takes coins and they changed that so it does not accept any pound coins old or new.

8. Steve

Media:
    Albums:
    If they have a suggestion box I'd be dropping in a card suggesting all tea and coffee be made free. Also chilled spring water and soft drinks and so on too.

Even the NHS, with their claims of poverty, do that sort of thing for staff and patients. The NHS of course spends billions giving away free food and drink.

Steve

9. Gary

Gary Community Supporter Meets Club Member Lotto Syndicate Member

Media:
    At work they also have "proper" coffee, made by baristas, which brings in a lot of money, so I don't think they will be making anything free.

10. Steve

Media:
    Albums:
    I had a nice fresh free cup made from beans in front of my eyes an hour or two back... thanks to Waitrose. Also used an £8 voucher they sent me, also a pound one off a pizza, also a £5 gift card from the Daily Mail folks... that was a very cheap bit of shopping all round!

Not only that Waitrose also do 20% off lines chosen via an app... and I had items like 4 Youngs Cod fillets in batter reduced via that.... on offer at £3 a pack anyway, and with the extra reduction it was £2.20 a pack, that is very cheap indeed... and of course I didn't even pay that due to the other vouchers anyway.

What with the free newspaper and magazine as well...and lots of other offers... they nearly paid me to shop there... :)

Back in my working days... over 20 years back now.. all tea and coffee was generally free and pretty good. I believe even those with their own companies can even put such items down as costs and set them against tax.

Most places seem to give staff freebies or at least massive reductions v the cost. Talking of subsidised eating and drinking places, I'm having lunch in the Member's dining room at Parliament next week, possible as there are no MPs about at present.

Steve

11. John

John Community Supporter Meets Club Member Inner Sanctum

Media:
    Albums:
    Steve,

One head of our department at the uni wanted to make the staff coffee and tea break free using the petty cash but the lawyers ruled it out as we are partially funded by public money. We had to set up a separate subscription fund to completely cover all costs.