1. We use cookies. By continuing to use DigiKeep, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New range of ALEXA items from Amazon

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Steve, Sep 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Steve

Steve Admin Community Supporter Meets Club Member Inner Sanctum Lotto Syndicate Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Hi all,

I am a fan of Alexa and little machines like the Echo that you can talk to.

Amazon have launched a whole range of things that use Alexa, a picture is below and clicking on it should take you to the page of details about all these new items.

Any views on them welcome etc.

alexa_graphic.GIF

Steve

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
  2. Frenchman

Frenchman Community Supporter Meets Club Member Inner Sanctum Lotto Syndicate Member

Media:
    Hi Steve
    After your rave reviews (and others) I finally succumbed and got an Echo.
    I have to say that I am impressed, I was a bit sceptical about the quality of the sound but I am pleasantly surprised.
    I purchased a refurbished model for 79.99 which I think is good value.

John

3. Steve

Steve Admin Community Supporter Meets Club Member Inner Sanctum Lotto Syndicate Member

Media:
    Albums:
    John,

The Echo I reviewed and rather like is the £49.99 one. I have three of those in different rooms and really like what they do. I also gave a number of them out as Christmas presents last year.

They sometimes do an offer of buying 3 in one go and getting some money off. I bought mine individually and I think I got at least one for less as it was perhaps Black Friday or something like that.

£79.99 for a refurbished Echo sounds like it must be the larger earlier model I would guess. I like how small my ones are and would not really want a large one that would stand out etc. Mine are generally not seen by most folks as they are so small.

The sound quality on mine seems very good to me, and better than most things. I do though just tell it to use Bluetooth if I want great quality for something, and that plays it through our 7 speaker audio system as I added a Bluetooth receiver to that at very little cost.

I have the Bluetooth receiver setup for control by Alexa, as I do many lights and lamps and fans and so on around the house. The Christmas lights will be the next thing to go under Alexa control I guess. The little TP plug sockets you can buy from Amazon seem to do the job well for me.

I have the unlimited music option on the Echo dot and that costs me little and lets me play just about anything I ever think to ask for.

I passed on the announcement info in the earlier message as a lot of things about that seemed very interesting. They talk of the ability to make and accept phone calls via the echo machines and other new abilities.

I will at some point probably buy a small notepad that offers Alexa... I am waiting for them to be at an ultra low cost... they can be bought for £49.99 already in some circumstances but they seem to insist you buy an overpriced cover to get that deal.. so I'll hang on a little longer. Likewise I want a 4K TV system that uses Alexa and that is included in the announcements above...so that may be a Christmas item for me. They also list the new item that allows the phone calls and calling up other Alexa systems and so on as available early next year... so that seems a likely buy when they release them.

It is great that Alexa machines are doing so well and seem to continue to get rave reviews. I've looked at all the also ran copycat type items coming out now and most are not a patch on Alexa in my view. The way the voice works and Amazon owning things like the main audio book publishers Audible and so on ties a lot of things together for me.

All the best,

Steve