1. We use cookies. By continuing to use DigiKeep, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NHS held to ransom

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Steve, May 13, 2017.

1. Steve

Steve Admin Community Supporter Meets Club Member Inner Sanctum Lotto Syndicate Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I guess most here have seen the media stories about the NHS being one of those attacked by ransomware in recent days.

I think we've heard of this happening before haven't we? For example this story here: https://www.theguardian.com/technol...s-hospital-trust-hit-by-email-cyber-attackers

This is one of the current news items, from Sky News: http://news.sky.com/story/nhs-braces-from-weekend-of-chaos-after-cyberattack-10875094

I've often been surprised to see how many things use Windows as their operating system of choice. I expect we've all seen cash machines stuck on Windows error messages:

windows_cash_machine.jpg

In the NHS this was one that took me by surprise not too long back - it was a message in the LIFT!

IMG_0800.JPG

When having an operation not long back I was also surprised to see the high tech top notch hospital had a dept. computer running Windows XP!

We wouldn't do that at home generally would we, because of the security risks and obsolete nature of the system and so on.... so why do the NHS do such things?

Any thoughts or views?

Steve

Attached Files:

2. Walter

Walter Community Supporter Meets Club Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Steve,

It is amazing that some establishments are still using XP which Microsoft discontinued giving security updates even many shops!

Walter

3. John

John Community Supporter Meets Club Member Inner Sanctum

Media:
    Albums:
    Steve,

They estimate 90% of NHS still running XP. Presumably they can't afford the enterprise version or they don't apply security patches (enterprises can still pay to have XP updates) as this ransomware has been around for some time.

John

4. Steve

Steve Admin Community Supporter Meets Club Member Inner Sanctum Lotto Syndicate Member

Media:
    Albums:
    John,

I'd guess that Microsoft might be willing to upgrade it all for free if asked nicely. MS have given me oodles of their packages over the years and they do seem to hand them out without even being asked.

My guess would be that the problem would be the hardware.. I doubt if much of it could ever run Windows 10.

Personally if I controlled NHS IT I don't think I'd be trying to use Windows and then connecting it to the public Internet at all. That seems sort of daft to my mind.

The reason the nuts who write the nasty stuff can't launch our nuclear missiles isn't because the missile systems have the latest Windows version/updates I suspect... hopefully they have a specially developed secure operating system that is at no time connected to the Internet.... like I think the NHS should have.

The NHS spends billions on all sorts of things... they can probably afford a really good IT setup that sets the highest standards in the World, and that can be sold to make billions in extra cash for the NHS... but like most areas they work in they seem to choose not to put great minds to work making their top level decisions.

Steve