1. We use cookies. By continuing to use DigiKeep, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The perils of an Altoids tin

Discussion in 'Photography and Cameras' started by John, Mar 15, 2017.

1. John

John Community Supporter Meets Club Member Inner Sanctum

Media:
    Albums:
    Some time ago member Bob suggested a good place to keep a Pentax Optio camera was an Altoids tin. So I bought a tin of the sweets. Having eaten the contents of the tin I put my camera in, an almost perfect fit. It meant I could keep the camera in my pocket at all times without picking up pocket lint and dirt.

I used the Optio at work to take pictures of our architect designed building some of which were printed at A3 and even A2 as backgrounds for publicity posters but eventually its 3 megapixel sensor meant it fell out of use. Our Administrator also complained I was using an inappropriate camera for external functions as it did not look professional enough and insisted on buying a DSLR for me to use.

When we had to revamp the downstairs layout of the house for wheelchair use the central island in the kitchen had to go as there wasn't room to get past it. Some friends came with hammers to help break it into pieces small enough to go in a skip with anything that could be recycled taken to our local recycling centre.

It was only later I remembered that the island was the retirement home for the Optio and someone must have put the Altoids tin in the metal recycling as I could not find the tin in the boxes of contents...

John

2. Bob

Bob Community Supporter Meets Club Member Lotto Syndicate Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I still have my little Optio in its Altoids box :) But it really doesn't get much use these days...

At the time it was an amazingly small camera that you could keep in a pocket at all times. But resolutions have increased and camera sizes have reduced. Whilst not quite as small as the Optio the camera that I most often have with me these days is a Lumix 3D1 camera which has two optical systems which I use to take 3D pictures. So I get two 12 megapixel images for my stereo pair from a camera that is only 2cm longer than the Optio...

Bob

3. Steve

Steve Admin Community Supporter Meets Club Member Inner Sanctum Lotto Syndicate Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I remember Bob's tins etc. too. All very neat.

Just a thought reading what you said.. most people would hopefully feel the weight was wrong for an empty tin. Also a lot of folks keep important things in tins about the place, a winning premium bond or gold cuff links or whatever... :)

So I wonder if they in fact tucked it away somewhere else after finding it, in a draw or on a shelf or something.

I got some great tins this Christmas from biscuits. One now houses our medicines, another is a long term home for our biscuits for use with cheese. You can't beat a good tin... :)

Steve

4. Bob

Bob Community Supporter Meets Club Member Lotto Syndicate Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Yes - I thought that about the weight when I picked up my Altoids tin with the camera in it. Much too heavy to be just an old can - or even an old tin of Altoids. So, had it been me, I would have either opened it to see what was inside or just ask about it... Might be worth having a look in the area or asking the friends that were helping with their hammers.

Bob

5. John

John Community Supporter Meets Club Member Inner Sanctum

Media:
    Albums:
    I was also using the narrow Altoids tins to store earphones and those did survive.

I must remember to replace the silicone buds by memory foam as I find the latter more comfortable.

John