1. We use cookies. By continuing to use DigiKeep, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Photography Show 2017

Discussion in 'Photography and Cameras' started by Bob, Nov 21, 2016.

1. Bob

Bob Community Supporter Meets Club Member Lotto Syndicate Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I got an email invitation to register for the show so I went ahead and filled in the online form. I'm now had an email confirming that is has been accepted.

I didn't actually go to the show last year - it didn't seem worthwhile driving up in the car on my own. However, I'm wondering if there is still interest in going, and - if so - whether there is any way of car pooling???

Bob

2. Walter

Walter Community Supporter Meets Club Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I received my ticket number

3. Steve

Steve Admin Community Supporter Meets Club Member Inner Sanctum Lotto Syndicate Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm not sure if I will go....probably won't decide til near the time. Got the email but it looked like it wanted me to register from scratch so I did not go any further.

Steve

4. Bob

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm not sure if I'll go, either :)

When I filled in the online form it did seem to be starting from scratch, but it didn't take very long to complete. Maybe they've reduced the amount of info that they need to collect? Anyway, once done I got the message that all applications would be reviewed and I would know if it was accepted within 2 days. I got the acceptance message - and barcode and badge number - within a couple of hours.

Anyway, if - nearer the time - we all decided to go, I was thinking that, maybe, Walter and I could descend on Steve's and then the three of us go to the NEC in my car for the show and new shopping centre... I would probably go to my flat in Greenford first, having made an early start to bypass most of the traffic.

Bob

5. Walter

Media:
    Albums:
    My application only took less than 3 mins, the acceptance with my badge number was very quick.

Walter

6. Walter

Media:
    Albums:
    My ticket arrived today.

7. Bob

Media:
    Albums:
    I got mine on Thursday.

Not sure if I'll go yet, though.

8. Steve

Steve Admin Community Supporter Meets Club Member Inner Sanctum Lotto Syndicate Member

Media:
    Albums:
    ...I'm still not going to the Photography Show this year and did not get a ticket.

It is a shame the interest in Photography here seems to have faded away for now, with very little uploading of photos and so on. That makes DigiKeep photo related meets seem a bit of a non starter at present really.

Steve

9. Walter

Media:
    Albums:
    The buzz seems to have gone out of the show these days.

Walter as seen on TV

10. John

John Community Supporter Meets Club Member Inner Sanctum

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm still interested in photography but my options are limited at the moment. It is ironic as I have the best equipment I've ever had in the 7D Mark II and the 1DX Mark II combined with the 100-400 Mark II. These Mark II versions represent years of developments and improvements over the Mark I versions.

The Show is not really practical for me in a wheelchair with its narrow aisles. Hopefully I shall be walking next year so would be likely to go.

Some friends were going to take me to Twycross Zoo this weekend but it is pouring with rain so we had to cancel and I guess that is what it is like at this time of year. So I am cooking instead of photographing :(.

11. Steve

Media:
    Albums:
    John,

At a Zoo with a camera, even a small one, always seems a neat day out doesn't it. A shame about the rain, it is about a lot here today too.

Health and age seem to be dampening a lot of folks ability to do things.

I think a lot of us here probably still like photos and photography and showing others what we've seen and how we've photographed it.. the problem is that almost nobody is uploading their photos to DigiKeep in any quantity and that rather stifles the notion of having great photography areas here.

Even I am mainly putting snaps from a phone on Instagram. That feels rather pointless and the 'Likes' from this or that business on there seem rather meaningless...but I do like to take photos of things I see.

Maybe when the sun is out the withered old souls here will walk out blinking into the sunlight and start showing us all their great photos again.... :) Mind you, I am told I can't get sunlight on my skin now due to the melanoma, and I am preparing a row of bottles of high factor sun cream and hats etc....what fun.

Steve

12. John

John Community Supporter Meets Club Member Inner Sanctum

Media:
    Albums:
    Steve

I'm not giving in so I found a safari place with disabled facilities which I'm aiming to visit in 2018. The owners are Brits whose son is disabled from a rugby accident so several rooms were fitted out to accommodate him. It is in the Bale mountains of Ethiopia where the Ethiopian wolf is located, one of the rarest mammals in the world. The ecosystem is one of the most diverse anywhere so it should provide plenty of opportunities for photography.

I had plenty of factor 50 sun screen and hats for my Africa trips. Remembering to put them on was my problem. I usually ended up giving them away to people who had forgotten to bring any.

John

13. Steve

Media:
    Albums:
    John,

That trip does sound right up your street.

I have to admit that one of the things stopping me traveling more is that I can't get travel insurance. I tried all the firms that claim to cover just about anything, at a high cost in some cases, but even they said no. On paper I can't be expected to last the day out is seems... :)

I used to use factor 2, and no hat.. I do love the sun. I just had a course of very high dose vitamin D and it seems they want to give me my sunshine in a pill from now on.

Steve

14. Walter

Media:
    Albums:
    I think that it is very unlikely that will be going to the Photography show this year. I think it the first one that I have missed,

Walter

15. Bob

Media:
    Albums:
    It looks like I'm going to go on either Saturday or Sunday - depending on the weather. Blanka is off on those days and will explore the new shopping mall whilst I go into the show.

It looks as though parking for the exhibition would be £15 but for the shopping centre is £2 for 2 hours, £15 for longer, but reduced to £2 if you spend £20 in the mall and get the parking ticket endorsed at the customer services desk.

There are a few stands that I plan to visit and they have a drones area that could be interesting.

Bob