1. We use cookies. By continuing to use DigiKeep, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Virgin are testing 500 MB/s

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Walter, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Walter

Walter Community Supporter Meets Club Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Virgin are testing 500 MB/s

Walter

2. Steve

Steve Admin Community Supporter Meets Club Member Inner Sanctum Lotto Syndicate Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Walter,

I think they have talked of tests of up to 10 gbps at times in the past. Dear old slow BT also seem to mutter about 500 mbps - though many of those using them seem to speak of not even getting the slow speeds they offer now.

Really, even with the Virgin 200mb speed I have now that is little great about it, and many services viewed via it still decide to start and stop and stutter at times.

I've actually started to wonder about doing away with all Virgin services... ie who needs/wants a phone line.. and a cheap and cheerful Internet service might do....I could just use 4G even...I have a cheap MiFi setup for that. The TV is mostly free stuff, and we have lots of new material via folks like Netflix and Amazon. It seems to get harder to know what all the money is for.

Freeview and some other services might be the better bet going forward... I'm still thinking on it. I was hoping the new Virgin TV box would make me all enthusiastic... but I can't really see that it does anything much new for me.. and it seems ugly and old and way behind the new Tivo boxes in the US from what I can read.. and why should we have to accept that..?

Steve

3. Bob

Bob Community Supporter Meets Club Member Lotto Syndicate Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I thought I would upgrade to Virgin's fibre broadband so I placed the order and got an installation date.

A few days before the date I found a man in a high-viz in my front garden - turned out to be Virgin's contractors putting the cable into the front garden. Why didn't they knock on the door and get permission? They also went into my neighbour's garden without permission...

Anyway, the day for the installation came and the "engineers" told me that they could not do a proper installation because they were not allowed to go above about 7 feet. And they weren't allowed to go into lofts. and they weren't allowed to... Well, basically they could only install the hub inside on a front wall - as far as it is possible to be from where we would want the WiFi signal. Totally unacceptable. So they phoned their manager who told me that there were all these restrictions and agreed that I should cancel the order.

I wrote to the CEO of Virgin media and got a "holding" reply, but absolutely nothing since. A few days later I noticed that they had been into my garden again and removed their cable. Again, without permission.

So I did a bit of research and found LOTS of unhappy Virgin customers, so it seems that I have had a happy escape...

Unfortunately, I don't think anyone else is any better... For "communications" companies, their communication is absolute rubbish.

Bob

4. Walter

Media:
    Albums:
    Bob,
    Have they given you a HUB 3 or a SH 2ac as both have good Wi-Fi, I have had both I had SH 2ac then when the HUB 3 trials started I was supplied with that which I do not have any problem Wi-Fi coverage.

I expect that as you had ordered Virgin BB permission had assumed that you had given permission.

When the modem is installed in your house the engineer will ask you were you would prefer it to be located and if that is feasible they will fit it there.

I must be one of the happy Virgin BB customers. :)

Walter

5. Steve

Steve Admin Community Supporter Meets Club Member Inner Sanctum Lotto Syndicate Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Bob,

With any firm with millions of customers there will of course always be some who complain, probably thousands of them. I'm pretty sure there are vastly more Virgin Customers not complaining about them... lots here for a start.

They do seem to beat their competitors in most ways.

With your install requesting Broadband means they have to install it and in the agreement it will say they will send someone to lay cable I am sure. They can't just turn up on the day and have it work unless the cables and so on are already done.

My personal doubts are about whether I need them or anyone else supplying those services going forward. The costs seem out of line with the services these days. That isn't them in particular, they are fairly competitive I think, it is the whole concept of charging large amounts for TV and a fixed phone line. A full current Sky setup is over £100 a month I believe... is it actually worth that and is something being supplied that is worth that cost?

I think the answer is shown by where the money seems to go... Formula 1, Rugby, Football, Tennis, Golf, Cricket and so on seems to take billions from homes in the UK.. when we could watch a fair old amount of such stuff for free, and perhaps the majority of us paying an arm and a leg to sports that don't interest us makes little sense. The other item is the fixed phone line, a relic of the past used mainly it seems by creeps trying to sell poor quality deals by cold calling.

As for you wanting them to run cables up to your loft.. I don't know if they run any cables anywhere much these days. Wi-Fi seems to be the way most things are done. My Virgin Wi-Fi covers the whole house and garden and lots of TV services are working via it... Netflix and Amazon and so on. We have over 50 items in the house connected to the Internet and it is normally via Wi-Fi. We do have one or two Powerline setups too but they are probably not really needed these days.

With the cables stuff.. last time I looked they said on their Web site that they install the v6 TV box and the WiFi box in the same place and that it was a requirement. I guess you were getting the v6 box and not just broadband.

This is some text from the Web site: "For your Virgin TV V6 box to work best, we’ll set your Virgin Media Hub up close to it and connect them with an Ethernet cable."

It is one of the requirements that is making me reconsider my needs... as my TV system is connected to them via its own port next to the TV, and my computer is connected directly to their Broadband via another point in another room for that. I believe they would want to remove my computer point if installing a v6 box... that's how I read it anyway. The notion of using Wi-Fi for all computer works sounds like it is what they have in mind doesn't it.. but I have not researched it or anything.

Steve

6. Bob

Media:
    Albums:
    Thge problem is that this house has pretty solid walls. They really sap WiFi. So, putting the hub in the furthest corner of the room furthest from where the signal is needed makes no sense. Why would I want to provide a great WiFi signal out to the street and not have it in the house? But because of their numerous restrictions it was impossible for them to install the hub in the middle of the house. A similar install was child's play for an openreach engineer 18 months ago...

Of course, others may have had more appropriate installations before the restrictions were put in place.

And I might have intrinsically agreed to the cables being run into the garden before installation day, but my neighbour certainly didn't agree to them going into their garden! And simple courtesy would suggest a ring on the doorbell might be a good idea.

And this was a purely fibre broadband installation. No TV or landline.

Bob

7. Steve

Media:
    Albums:
    Bob,

My guess is that if you had let them put it in the living room it would have worked fine. Also if you had a spot where it didn't then a twin pack of Powerline type plugs would give you an Ethernet type full speed connection anywhere in the house with a plug socket.

Virgin did used to put things all over the place but as Wi-Fi speeds can now be faster than Broadband I guess the need for wires is fading. Most homes are full of Wi Fi enabled TVs and phones and laptops and so on and it all has to work anywhere it finds itself in the house or garden. There are Powerline extenders for Wi-Fi too thinking about it.. where you just plug it in where you want a strong signal. The Virgin Wi-Fi works through multiple walls here etc.

4K will be the thing most folks are adding at present.

What speed/price would the Virgin stuff have been at, can you say?

Steve

8. John

John Community Supporter Meets Club Member Inner Sanctum

Media:
    Albums:
    I have the same problem as Bob, my house is over 100 years old and built of high density engineering brick. Wifi gets through two walls before the signal strength has fallen to such a low level that transmission errors lower the speeds a lot at 2.5GHz and more at 5GHz. Instead I rely on power line type Ethernet to distribute the broadband around the house and wifi extenders to service devices without Ethernet. The gigabit Ethernet devices are high enough speeds to exceed the broadband speed so there are no introduced delays as the likes of Speedtest.net show.

I also have Sky satellite installed so I have a choice of all three major providers. However NTL never got the cable broadband working properly (we took broadband, tv and phone initially) leaving us without a working connection for months at a time, Virgin replaced the cables when they took over but still haven't got it to work properly so we decided it wasn't good to have all our eggs in one basket and switched our TVs to Sky and broadband to BT, leaving just the phone with Virgin.

So far as installation was concerned, Sky were happy to put the antenna and entry points where we liked, but BT and NTL insisted on connecting the cables at the front of the house. All of the providers has abysmal customer support. There was a benefit of having the wifi reaching the car in the street -- I could check email in the car whilst waiting for Hanne in the mornings.

John

9. Bob

Media:
    Albums:
    The problem with powerline type extenders is that all but the most expensive ignore the regulations and emit broadband radio interferance. As a licensed Radio Amateur I won't use faulty technology like that.

Of course, Steve, had the put it in the living room that may well have been OK. But they point blank refused to do that. All they would offer would be in the front room, on the front wall. At least four walls to go through to reach the living room...

But the worst thing was the total inflexibility. No attempt to see if there was an alternative. They did say that a "site survey" should have been recommended. But it wasn't even offered.

OpenReach, on the other hand, were happy to route the cable (in black) over the roof and into the house at dormer window level and then swith to white cable for the run to the phone point. Right in the middle of the house.

The Virgin service was on offer at their slowest speed (50 Mbps) for £19 per month...

10. Walter

Media:
    Albums:
    Bob,

The quality of the install can vary between contractors, in my area they are good, I am in no way defending your poor install. My original install was by Comtel many years ago and they made a mess of the install, they had to reinstall it 3 times before it was ok! ntl was not much better, a friend had a install by Virgin contractors and the was fine.

£19 per month for 50 Mb/s is more than what I pay for 100 MB/s but I do know that the deal offers vary from month to month, I believe the current offer if you take TV, BB, and land line the offer is £50 of store vouchers.

Is it too late to cancel the Virgin install and go with OpenReach?

Walter

11. Bob

Media:
    Albums:
    Well, all trace of the order seems to have disappeared from my Virgin online account... So it seems to have been cancelled.

But I WILL be checking my bank account just in case!

You might be paying less than that for your 100 Mbps - but I bet you're paying lots more for other "services" that I neither need or want!

Bob

12. Walter

Media:
    Albums:
    Very wise move to check your bank account.

I do not want the TV but with Virgin's bundle it is cheaper to have the TV and the TiVo yes I know it sounds crazy!

Walter