1. We use cookies. By continuing to use DigiKeep, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vitamin D and Health in general

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by John, Mar 6, 2017.

1. John

John Community Supporter Meets Club Member Inner Sanctum

Media:
    Albums:
    Steve,

There are plenty of sources of vitamin D besides pills such as oily fish tuna, mackerel, and salmon; also cheese, portobello mushrooms and egg yolk. Hanne's mother suffers from osteoporosis so we are taking precautions in case Hanne inherits it, and vitamin D with plenty of calcium sources such as dairy products are a precaution. On the other hand, after her gall bladder operation Hanne is on a low fat diet so we have to balance one thing against another. Life is complicated.

We both like sashimi and the local Waitrose has opened a sushi counter so we can get raw tuna and salmon which probably gives us most of the vitamin D and omega 3 oils that we need.

Err, I think we have gone slightly off-topic :)

John

2. Steve

Steve Admin Community Supporter Meets Club Member Inner Sanctum Lotto Syndicate Member

Media:
    Albums:
    John,

I moved the message to a nice new thread.

They tested my vitamin D level and it was below ideal but fairy typical of what you'd expect at this time of year in the UK. They then gave me very high weekly doses of Vitamin D for 10 weeks. I think this is normal for cancer patients as there is perhaps some theory that vitamin D helps the immune system.

I do eat a lot of foods with vitamin D in them. Salmon, mackerel and tuna, and cheese and eggs form a major part of what I eat. I don't eat sushi at all, nor mushrooms. Raw fish and fungus just doesn't appeal to me.

One of my American relatives had to have a gall bladder operation. Seems to be doing OK.

Life can be very complicated as you say. My main health item at present is getting used to using fast acting insulin as well as the slow stuff I am used to. Seems quite a complicated regime - I guess it will seem simple once I have done it for a while.

Steve

3. John

Media:
    Albums:
    Steve,

What triggered my interest in this was a BBC programme called "Trust me, I'm a doctor" which does some original testing and also visits places doing original health research. I was impressed by statistics showing lots of health benefits in fish oils so as a one third reduction in heart disease found by researchers at Harvard University.

I don't go in for fancy diets but seeing that just making small changes to what I eat could bring many benefits especially as the foods concerned are some of my favourites and all I have to do is eat more than I have been doing, it is a no brainer.

I recommend the programme concerned as it often comes up with surprising results in its studies.

John

4. Steve

Steve Admin Community Supporter Meets Club Member Inner Sanctum Lotto Syndicate Member

Media:
    Albums:
    John,

Interesting. The Mail yesterday did a page or two on the untrue things we all tend to believe. They hammered 5 a day as being from a US fruit marketing firm and 10 a day as being nonsense, and so on. They seemed to knock down almost every one of the things we are told to do.

It does seem stupid to me that many people now eat 5 or 10 pieces of fruit a day and so on, which will of course probably shorten their lives greatly due to the high sugar content of fruit and so on.

Likewise a lot of fish products are smoked and so on, and there is plenty of info about re the risks of that. Also of metals and other contaminants often found in fish.

I try and use common sense and never did follow the fads of using spreads instead of butter and so on. I've always loved lots of butter and cheese and my heart tests always show clear arteries and no problems of that sort etc.

Personally, good natural food I enjoy and fancy eating is what I eat.. and I've yet to have any ill health ever attributed to any sort of foods I eat. I'm still eating low carb high fat and that is the sort of food I enjoy most.

Steve

5. Walter

Walter Community Supporter Meets Club Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Steve,
    Most folk don't realise how much sugar there is in fruit also in fruit drinks, even Elderflower drink has a high amount of sugar as may other soft drinks.

Folk would be surprised if they saw how much sugar is in soft drinks, ever the drinks and food which is labelled no added sugar.

Walter

6. John

Media:
    Albums:
    Steve,

The Mail has been banned from Wikipedia as a source of "facts". On the other hand they often publish excellent photo spreads.

John

7. Steve

Media:
    Albums:
    John,

I'm not aware of any newspaper that seems to get all its facts right. The Mail certainly doesn't as you say. It is vastly better than many though, the Guardian and so on.... :)

Their stories on health are, I think, normally quite good. They often have a lot of pages written by Doctors and experts quoting their sources and I find them quite informative. However, a good half of what Doctors say is probably wrong and much of it originally comes from marketing outfits in the USA pushing this or that....

Drs have recommended a lot of operations for me that I have not had... one very recently. I think they are generally very wise but that we should still all think very hard before deciding what to do medically.

I just started a new insulin and instantly changed the dosing levels (lowering them) due to my own observations, and going against what I was told to do. Back informing them yesterday they said I did exactly the right thing.

So, I am not sure there are many 'facts' when it comes to what to eat, what medicines to take, what operations to have, and all the rest. We are all different and I believe in each of us making sure we are well informed from a variety of sources and then making up our own minds on what is best for us... in my experience most Drs seem to like that approach too.

Steve

John likes this.