1. We use cookies. By continuing to use DigiKeep, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are we listening to?

Discussion in 'DigiKeep Community' started by Frenchman, Aug 22, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Frenchman

Frenchman Community Supporter Meets Club Member Inner Sanctum Lotto Syndicate Member

Media:
    Just out of interest, I wonder what music people are listening to at the moment.
    I recently saw a documentary about a group called The Band.
    I had heard of them but never new anything about their music.
    I bought The Band album and have been listening to it almost constantly over the last few weeks.

2. Steve

Steve Admin Community Supporter Meets Club Member Inner Sanctum Lotto Syndicate Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Great to hear from you John. I don't seem to hear many folks saying they bought an album these days.

Personally I listen to a very very varied selection of music. One of my favourite pastimes is to listen to songs from my youth. It is great to hear them all again. The first records I ever bought, etc.

I also like to do things like listen to the top hits from this or that year or decade in the 60's/70's/80's etc.

When folks are visiting, like my daughters, I will often suggest they play their favourite songs, whether old or new it is usually interesting. At Christmas it was great as we got to hear all sorts of Christmas music I had not really heard before. Bands like Pentatonix were great.

As well as listening to this that and everything I also like to put on the odd interesting radio station. KJUL is the main one I go for. It is in Las Vegas and they play a lot of music I love, and I also get a laugh out of their news and adverts.

I do all of this via an Echo Dot. I can just say play KJUL and it does. I can say play songs by Pentatonix and it does, and so on. Anyone visiting us can do the same and play anything they want to.

The Dot costs under £50 and will play via its own speaker or it can send to any blue tooth speaker or sound system. It comes with 2 million songs available I believe. I added Amazon music unlimited to it which gets me just about all the music out there, over 40 million songs, and cost something under a fiver a month.

I also have my Dot setup to play my old music as a playlist. It also controls our lights and fans and so on. I do love the thing.

All the best,

Steve

3. Frenchman

Frenchman Community Supporter Meets Club Member Inner Sanctum Lotto Syndicate Member

Media:
    Hi Steve
    Buying music used to be quite an event, I still remember buying my first record, Bad to Me by Billy J. Kramer and the Dakotas.
    Got it from our local CoOp 5 shillings.
    When I started buying LP's I would spend ages choosing which one, it was like a special event taking it home to play on the "Stereo" player.
    When I buy music now I go to Amazon, next day delivery and you can download the tracks straight away.
    I purchased a record deck a couple of years ago and got all my Vinyl Singles and Lp's from the attic, I have even started to buy Vinyl again.

4. Steve

Steve Admin Community Supporter Meets Club Member Inner Sanctum Lotto Syndicate Member

Media:
    Albums:
    John,

I have a couple of old style record players too. I got one, an old stereo portable type like I had in the late 60's, from an old record shop for something like £60 I think. The other was a more recent style record deck for a fiver at a car boot sale.

My original records were all long gone, along with the large record player/sound systems we had over the decades. To build a new vinyl collection for some years I went to the local car boot sales and when I found someone selling singles at a pound each or whatever from one of the old red single carrying boxes I would offer them a fiver for all their records and the box.. and generally the offer was accepted.. so I now have thousands of singles in the loft with most being in 60's type carry cases. I've had a lot of fun listening to a box or two now and then.

I have it in my mind that if I ever get a Man Cave down the line I will wallpaper it with singles..! Would also like an old style juke box for the ones I really like.

I did use the record deck and my PC to make digital versions of any old gems I found along the way, and added them to my iTunes playlists.

Until recently I had my CD collection in a Sony CD deck that held 300 of them. It finally broke and I took them all out, cleaned them, and put them in clear plastic thin envelopes. So I have a good selection of CDs too. All the singles I like best from those I copied into iTunes anyway over the years.

I won't part with any of the old stuff but I do really like the new way I deal with music and being able to play anything anytime without moving from my chair. When Glen Campbell died the other week I sat in my chair and said "Alexa, play me Glen Campbells greatest hits".. I do that sort of thing a lot as I see announcements like that.

I've always been a music lover, and I still regret lending my reel to reel tape deck to a girlfriend when I was 15, as I never got it back... :)

I guess I should mention DVDs... I do love to play things like the BG's in Vegas, and Shania Twain in New York, and stuff like that...

Steve

5. Frenchman

Media:
    Steve
    Sandra gave me a Vinyl of Glen Campbell's greatest hits a couple of birthday's ago. I've always liked him.
    Sad about him really, watched the documentary about him and his last tour in 2011 recently.

6. Walter

Walter Community Supporter Meets Club Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I prefer the music from the 60's/70's/80's, the words that the singer is clear in not like the screeching of some of the modern day so called singer the words I cannot understand and they are paid ££££.

Walter