1. We use cookies. By continuing to use DigiKeep, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What did you get for Christmas?

Discussion in 'DigiKeep Community' started by Walter, Dec 31, 2017.

1. Walter

Walter Community Supporter Meets Club Member

Media:
    Albums:
    What presents did you get for Christmas?

I purchased a stair lift as a present from me.

4 chicken and 4 beef pies

Sainsburys gift card

A puzzle .

2. Frenchman

Frenchman Community Supporter Meets Club Member Inner Sanctum Lotto Syndicate Member

Media:
    I got an Electric Ukulele with an Amp and Ziggy Stardust album on Vinyl amongst other things

John and Walter like this.
  3. Steve

Steve Admin Community Supporter Meets Club Member Inner Sanctum Lotto Syndicate Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Hmm...Frenchman's presents win on fun I think... :)

I like pies mind you.

Sainsbury's are not really in my good books at present. They sent me a letter saying they notice from my Nectar card data that I bought some of their British Beef Quarter pounders, the Aberdeen Angus Taste the Difference ones, and could I bring them back please as the difference is that they have had complaints from the food standards agency about them containing E.coli - which seems quite dangerous from my brief search on Google... On returning the 2 left in our latest packet they simple gave me my £2.70 back.. no questions about are we OK, nor talk of testing the 2 burgers returned and so on. I don't think I am all that happy with this really.

Who is installing the chair lift Walter?

Steve

Walter likes this.
  4. Walter

Media:
    Albums:
    Vinyl records are coming back in fashion now.

Walter

5. Walter

Media:
    Albums:
    Steve,

Bentley Mobility have installed the stair lift.

Sainsburys will have sent the burgers off for testing.

Walter

6. Steve

Steve Admin Community Supporter Meets Club Member Inner Sanctum Lotto Syndicate Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Walter,

Glad you got the lift installed OK, I know those things can be a pain if not installed well.

To be clearer, I asked the staff who I handed the burgers to and they said that as far as they knew they would not be sent off to be tested and that they did not need any details from me on who I was even... nor did they seem to ask/want to know if anyone had been made ill by them etc. etc. I got the impression they were taking in large number of packs of the burgers involved.

I have yet to see a recall notice anywhere in Sainsbury's for these....there may be one but if so it is not anywhere I look. The spot where these burgers normally go has said "Do not replenish" as an instruction to their staff, and has remained empty, for quite a while now.

I bought some burgers yesterday, from ASDA... I think Sainsbury's has lost my business as I don't feel confident about any aspect of this experience.

I used to work for a major food manufacturing company as you know Walter. We generally tested each batch of our products and kept some stored long term and so on. There were labs and very expert staff at each factory. How in this case they could need to get back packs dated from late July, August, September, and October, I can't imagine. If every batch is made with great care and then tested for problems before despatch how can that happen.

I am aware that burgers in general can be quite dodgy things. I suspect most people just grill them or fry them until brown and think that fine. In fact if you look at the box closely it will normally demand at least 18 minutes of solid cooking and in cases like my ASDA burgers, 20 minutes. It may be a charcoal briquette by then if you have a good grill of course...:(

Steve

7. Walter

Media:
    Albums:
    Steve,

I am surprised that Sainsburys did not send the burgers to be recalled as it is a matter of hygiene, I looked at my local Sainsburys and there was no recall notice which I would have expected.

I asked folk that had a stair lift installed by Bentley Mobility and they were happy with the install so that is why I had them install it.

Walter

8. Steve

Media:
    Albums:
    Walter,

The Sainsbury thing seems to be getting down played and is not what you would want/hope for when this sort of thing happens. Our local ALDI has a recall notice on its window for some chicken poppers we also buy for Brayden... although not happy about that either I can't knock ALDI for putting this right by the front door where it can't be missed and I think that is how we expect quality stores to operate when things go wrong, don't we?

That burgers can have life threatening bugs in them is sad but true... that processed chicken items can have things like plastic in them and so on is also sad but true... and eating the food we are sold these days feels quite risky at times.

A search on such things as Sainsburys burgers ecoli brings up news stories like this one: http://metro.co.uk/2017/12/23/sains...aste-difference-burgers-e-coli-fears-7182462/

I hate to see claims about the number of people affected with such matters... when who is asking us if we are affected, and who is telling everyone they might be, and where are the notices/adverts etc. etc...

Steve

9. John

John Community Supporter Meets Club Member Inner Sanctum

Media:
    Albums:
    I bought myself a bass guitar. Largely because I need to exercise my arthritic fingers and like the uke it only has four strings to contend with.

I’ll not be playing it for a bit as I am back in hospital with an infection in my stump. I’m scheduled for an operation later today to clean it out as the antibiotic is not fully getting rid of it.

As a bonus they’ve diagnosed me as type 2 diabetic though some of the blood sugar swings could be due to the infection. I’ll be going on a high protein low carb diet if I survive.

10. Steve

Media:
    Albums:
    John,

Very sorry to hear that you are back in hospital. I seem to remember Lew had to go in for something of the sort too.

I would guess that something like that will need treating from the inside and the outside in a lot of cases.

I don't know if they give you something to spray on yourself at home. Nor do I know if they test the environment in your home to try and find where the source of any repeated infections is located. The cat or a favourite chair or the carpet or a shower or whatever may be constantly giving you something I would assume.

Diabetes type 2 is not great of course but I hope that isn't worrying you too much. I got told of mine over a decade ago and an awful lot of folks I know have it. I know the majority over a certain age here on DigiKeep seem to have it etc.

See how things seem to be going and if it looks like a good idea maybe I can come up and visit you as I did before if you fancy that. I assume it is the same place. Going in a wheelchair for a meal downstairs there as you did that time seemed to work well. I expect they probably won't let you wander yet from what you say.
    GarageBand on the iPhone might be one way to practice the music in there...:idea:

Steve

11. Walter

Media:
    Albums:
    Steve,
    According to the news there are many more that suffer with Diabetes 2 that have not been checked and diagnose with Diabetes.

I have been advised to reduce my sugar intake and now fizzy drinks even diet coke and the like, I have been prescribed with Glucophage 100 mg per day, I was put on Metformin but the side affect was severe very loose.
    Walter

12. John

Media:
    Albums:
    Steve,

From the evolution of the infection it seems likely the source was internal, perhaps from my earlier trouble then something triggered it. I had an operation today to open the stump and wash out the infection. The stump will take some months to recover including a vacuum type treatment to replace the lost flesh.

I went into hospital as an emergency and only lost three days waiting for an MRI scan due to the present winter load on the NHS. I am in a different hospital, Warwick hospital which was the nearest to where I live. I am expected to be in for about another week while they get treatment at home worked out — I just have a temporary dressing on and the wound is packed with honey.

The M40 is the nearest motorway and visiting is something like 12-19.30. I am in Greville Ward.

I dont know if I am allowed out as they say I have MRSA (thanks to my previous spells in hospital). My diabetes was also found during routine admission procedures.

This knocks my walking with a prosthesis on the head and takes me back to square one. Fortunately I can do a lot in my wheelchair no so I am quite mobile at home.

John

13. John

Media:
    Albums:
    Walter

They have put me on Metformin for now but it makes me nauseous. I’ll wait until I am out of hospital before I get to grips with the diabetes.

The doctor says the most likely cause is an aging pancreas. My intention is to try to manage the diabetes through diet by eliminating sugary food and drink and getting bad carbs as low as possible. Which means plenty of meat, fat, fruit, nuts and just enough good carbs to keep the brain and nervous system happy. Most people lose weight on such a diet and I need to get from my current 80kg.

Coke Zero seems to be my best option for a fizzy drink.

John

14. Walter

Media:
    Albums:
    John,
    I hope that you are able to control your diabetes with diet. What dose of Metformin have been put on?

I avoid any sugary foods including all fizzy drinks and that includes Coke Zero.

There are some drinks that say No added sugar but beware the natural sugar is not quoted as in fruit the natural sugar.

I only drink water and green tea and keep any fat to a minimum as I also have high cholesterol which is controlled with Satins (Lipitor), blood pressure is controlled with tablets.

Walter

15. John

Media:
    Albums:
    Walter

Fizzy is not the same as sugar :eek:. The fizz comes from water-dissolved CO2.

Coke Zero has no sugar of any kind (sucrose, fructose, lactose, glucose, godnose). It is sweetened with aspartame so completely safe for a diabetic to drink.

Tap water can contain all sorts of additives to try and make it “safe” to consume as well as traces of metals and minerals dissolved en route to your house. And bottled water is a menace to the planet.

I’m on 500mg of metformin twice a day.

John

16. Walter

Media:
    Albums:
    John,
    The diabetic nurse at my doctors told me to avoid all fizzy drinks including Coke Zero, but as you say it is sweetened with aspartame so it would ok, even the pharmacist at my local pharmacy said no Coke Zero.

Walter

17. Steve

Media:
    Albums:
    ..lots to respond to there.

John, our car is playing up at times and I need to get that fixed so I had a look at the trains. It appears to me that Warwick Station would be an OK walk for me to Warwick hospital, sound correct? The system seemed to talk of 2 changes being likely and maybe sometimes 1.

I looked at the fares and was surprised to find a return seems to cost a lot more than 2 singles... seems so silly that. Looks like I can do a total fare around £21 or a lot less if I get a Railcard.

With Metformin I think it is known to cause stomach upsets in most folks, and even knowing that they ask me to take mine. 2 x 500mg tabs in the morning and 2 at night. I can't say I can see anything it achieves but they seem to always prescribe it and that's that. Insulin is my main medication for diabetes and I have two types. Even that does not achieve a huge amount. Mostly with me it seems to mostly be down to what I eat and when.

Sugary fizzy drinks are something you might use if you felt bad due to a low sugar level. I usually carry boiled sweets and similar so I can deal with any low sugar levels.
    Mostly the sugar levels are going to be high but the medicines and trying to be good can cause the odd low. Those who drive need to notify DVLC of their diabetes and medications etc. They seem to explain that you need to always do a blood test before driving and then every 2 hours if you are still driving. If you use Insulin they seem to cancel your license and issue a new 3 year at a time one. Each time that is renewed they check out quite a lot of info about your condition.

I drink a lot of Zero cal type soft drinks. Fanta Orange and 7up are probably my main ones at present. I have some Pepsi Max but I limit that because it has caffeine in it and getting large doses of that each day on top of tea and coffee and so on may not be ideal.

Walter - I would ask why you are being told not to drink fizzy drinks. I did see the odd story on that some time back, and I can spot instantly one thing that the NHS has put up on the notion: https://www.nhs.uk/news/food-and-diet/fizzy-soft-drinks-linked-to-health-risk/

Obviously fizzy drinks can have acid in them that may affect teeth and so on. My own guess on this sort of thing is the obvious one.. people with diabetes or heart problems or lots of things are going to try and avoid sugar or caffeine or alcohol or whatever, and they may start drinking lots of Zero cal type drinks as soon as they start to suspect they have a problem. If someone then checks what folks with a problem drink... they will find a lot of no cal soft drinks being consumed. Did that cause the problems in any way? I'd want to know how if anyone said it did... Flavoured water with a fizz added should not be too harmful you might think... a good idea has to be to check the label to see what is in whatever you choose though.

I of course always ate eggs, butter, cheese etc. while the recommendations were often not to. That was because it seemed better to eat good wholesome fresh foods like those, with no additives, rather than smelly slime that had to be coloured and flavoured and hydrogenated to make it even possible for people to spread it on things... and even then any nutritional value like vitamins had to be taken from some chemical factory and added. Is that the advice has changed to say to eat the natural things and that they are some of the better foods out there any real surprise.

Steve

18. Walter

Media:
    Albums:
    Steve,
    I wish they would sign from the same hymn sheet regarding fizzy drinks. Fizzy drinks tend to upset my stomach so I am happy to avoid them, I cook from scratch so I know what is in the meal, I am not the best cook but it is edible! I don't smoke or drink alcohol, my doctor is impressed with my blood pressure and cholesterol.

Walter

19. John

Media:
    Albums:
    Steve

The station is about a third of a mile from the hospital. Warwick isn't on the fast line London to Birmingham so you do have to change.

This seems to be a Daily Mail hype of some limited study which admits there is no known causal link between diet fizz and the disease they were studying. They guess it might be that people who drink diet fizz have bad eating habits. Shoddy research in my opinion.

My philosophy too. I need the protein in eggs etc to help my wound to heal and rebuild the muscle.

John

20. Steve

Media:
    Albums:
    John,

I know the Daily Mail prints all sorts of stories from great ones to total nonsense and it is up to the reader to choose what items to believe and so on. I like that about it.

What I can't justify is the NHS copying it and publishing it as if it were some sort of advice from them! Then you seem to be getting nurses believing what their employer is posting on the Web and telling it to patients...if that is what is happening here. I'd like to see what they explain to Walter if he asks them to give him details of what the problem is with those drinks.

I really think I should try the train in that direction and see how it works out. I'm not sure when will be best yet and I will think on that. Do you have any idea how long they expect you to be in that hospital yet? I look forward to a trip up to see you in the frozen north...:)

Eggs seems a great food in so many ways... and that we were told to lay off them seemed absurd at the time. I wonder if they have now done something about all the masses of wrong advice they have given out over recent years?

Steve