1. We use cookies. By continuing to use DigiKeep, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Perivale: The Hoover Building

A prominent landmark on the A40 Western Avenue, the Hoover Building dates to 1932-8. I was amused to read Niklaus Pevsner's assessment in the 1951 edition of his archetectural guide: "Perivale is reached from the Western Avenue by turning into a country lane just opposite the HOOVER FACTORY, by Wallis, Gilbert, & Partners, 1932 - 8, perhaps the most offensive of the modernistic atrocities along this road of typical by-pass factories." Anyone remember the outcry when the similarly styled Firestone Building on the A4 was demolished overnight in 1980? :-)

Perivale: The Hoover Building
Bob, Nov 26, 2002
    • Steve
      Nice picture. I used to sell to Hoover and would go into that building when it was actually in use. It seemed very strange when they converted it to a Tesco.

I also used to sell to the folks at Firestone and had been in there, it did seem very wrong when it was demolished. My Father in Law worked there, and I had a chair from there I used for several years - they gave it away when they closed.
    • Roger
      I remember the Hoover building as a 'landmark' when en-route to visit my grandparents in Greenford. That was very many moons ago, and the pic. invoked memories, etc.
    • The Binman
      What a beautiful Art Deco building! Always amazed when I pass it (usually at a snail's pace) heading towards Hanger Lane. Anybody also remember the AEC factory at Southall?

Bob the Binman
    • sanjay pindiyath
      Beautiful shot! Nice angle too!
    • Grant
      Hi Bob
      I have been admiring your photo of the Hoover Building how would I go about getting a suitable download so I can have one print made to frame and hang on my study wall. I have been repairing Hoover products for 45 years and nearing retirement.

Many thanks
    • Steve

Up to the right of the photo you'll see 'Photo Options Drop Down Menu' - if you click on that you'll see print view. Click on that, and then right click on the image and save it.

If you have a reasonable printer you should be able to just print it yourself to photo paper. You'd view it in any photo software and then setup print to get it the right way round on the paper etc, and print it from that. Windows tends to come with software to do that even if you've never bought any.

ukexpert displays a version for members to print just so they can do the sort of thing you want to do.. a single print for personal use.. so you can go ahead and do that.

Don't go paying lots to have a print made up for you, we could probably do you one for free if that seemed needed.

There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    General Towns and Cities
    Uploaded By:
    Nov 26, 2002
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    1.2 MB
    Mime Type:
    Minolta Co., Ltd.
    DiMAGE 7i
    Date / Time:
    2002:11:26 13:07:40
    Exposure Time:
    1/250 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 100
    Focal Length:
    8.47265625 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).